(RepublicanPress.org) – Controversy has surrounded Prince Andrew’s history with convicted pedophile Jeffrey Epstein for more than a decade. In July 2011, Andrew stepped down as the United Kingdom’s trade envoy in the wake of controversy over his friendship with Epstein, who had served nearly 13 months in a Florida jail on a sex charge involving a girl under the age of 18.
On Monday, August 16, media outlets reported that an unnamed source claimed US prosecutors investigating Epstein’s co-conspirator and former girlfriend Ghislaine Maxwell consider Andrew a person of interest in their ongoing probe. The source also said prosecutors wanted to interview the prince, but he didn’t want to speak to them.
Prosecutors said Prince Andrew “sought to falsely portray himself to the public as eager and willing to cooperate” in the Epstein investigation but that he had given no interview to authorities & had repeatedly declined requests to talk with investigators. https://t.co/0wbIkgl5Fa
— Vicky Ward (@VickyPJWard) August 17, 2021
Last year, American prosecutors accused Prince Andrew of evading their efforts to talk to him about Epstein. US Attorney for the Southern District of New York Geoffrey Berman told reporters Andrew attempted to portray himself as “willing to cooperate,” but repeatedly declined to speak with investigators.
Prince Andrew could have a good reason to want to avoid US investigators. On August 16, Virginia Giuffre filed a lawsuit against Andrew in a New York federal court. She alleges he sexually abused her on at least three occasions, beginning in 2001 when she was only 17-years-old.
Copyright 2021, RepublicanPress.org